A new research and development center was created by the Polish Space Research Center and Military University of Technology. This center, named “National Space Engineering and Satellite Center” will focus on a variety of space-related technologies as well as on education.
The agreement between the Space Research Center (CBK – Centrum Badań Kosmicznych) and the Military University of Technology (WAT – Wojskowa Akademia Technologiczna) was signed on the 28th of February. The new entity, which will be probably named “National Space Engineering and Satellite Center” (KCIKiS – Krajowe Centrum Inżynierii Kosmicznej i Satelitarnej) will be a joint endeavour of CBK and WAT.
KCIKiS will focus on:
- creation of a leading R&D center, based on staff from CBK and WAT,
- creation of a space-related university studies,
- serving as a link between R&D institutions, academia and the emerging space industry in order to foster technology transfer and better cooperation,
- commercialization of R&D projects in the applications field for Galileo, SSA, Copernicus and telecommunications,
- support to a wide range of activities supporting innovation which would lead to further development of the Polish space sector.
The creators of KCIKiS aim at becoming the leading entity in Poland within the next 10 years. The KCIKiS should also become a major player within the European space sector.